Friday, May 6, 2016

Armor For My Memories: Part 2

While we were reading the text this semester, I was naturally drawn to the ceramic work more so than the other mediums because of my own personal connection to the medium and process. As such I started the class thinking my final project would be ceramic wares of some kind, in my usual style, maybe with a new glaze to try something new. I threw some vessels and pulled them from the bisque fire, but I couldn’t help but feel like I should do something new, something entirely different.

I started a large painting of a bird’s eye view of the Llano river mid-way through the semester in oil on a 4 x 6 canvas that had been staring me in the face for months. While it was nice to look at it lacked personal dept. Now I don’t primarily identify as a painter, however I do a fair amount of painting during the school year so even this large homage to the Llano didn’t feel like it referenced the text enough. I wanted to try something truly new, and I wanted to re-evaluate the Art work in the text not as a potter, but as a student of new mediums for creating.

As I mentioned in a response earlier in the blog, I took a group of students to the Fort Worth Modern last month and saw some Frank Stella work that was very sculptural in its use of wood panels and levels. These pieces owed more to the woodworking craftsmanship than the layers of paint on top. I was drawn to this, and I revisited much of the wood work, and even the textures of some of the jewelry work in Makers. Here is a list of works that I was specifically drawn to after finding new perspective.

Alma Eickerman. Sterling Bracelet. Pg. 271.
Miye Matsukata. Cuff Bracelet. Pg. 274
These works have textures and varying levels that was really appealing to me. In my ceramic wheel work, texture is of great interest and importance.

Wharton Esherick. Staircase. Pg.171
This woodwork more than any other in Makers stood out for its organic qualities, something I try to feature in my ceramic sculptural work.

Lissa Hunter. Old Soul. Pg. 467
Rebekah Laski. Broach. Pg. 445
These pieces were appealing because of the way the framed objects of importance and had a quite narrative quality.

So with this new view on the work, and a desire to get away from the comfort of my preferred medium I decide to reinterpret the large painting of the Llano.  I wanted to incorporate the variety of levels found in Eickerman and Matsukatas work while borrowing the subtle aesthetic narrative of Hunter and Laski’s work. Lastly I wanted to work with wood, not only because of the Stella work and the Esherick piece in Markers, but because I have long wanted to try wood working at a creative level.

This is the piece that came out of all of these influences.



        



      
The image of the Llano is a reference to my time in Junction, how it has helped me grow as a person and a maker.

I hand forged the nail two summers ago, during a visit from a metal smith to Junction. I frequently used the head of the nail to press into my cups, bottles, and vases. I used a clear epoxy to affix it, with some level of apprehension. If I attached it permanently to the piece, I would no longer be able to use it in my pottery. I had another nail I forged that same summer but it wasn’t as well crafted. The temptation as to simply use this lesser quality nail, but I decided it was time to retire the original nail and move on.

The Rock below is a piece of flint I found near the river hunting for native american spear and arrow heads. It felt like a tiny version of a monolithic sculpture, like something Jun Kaneko would create. I like to collect small items like this from places and times of importance in my life. Sometimes I use them to press into clay, but last summer I toyed with the idea of building a display for them with clay. This is an extension of that concept.

When working with clay I will at times take bits of trimming or the clay you scrape off a bat after the pot has been wired off, then attach it to the piece it came off. I like the contrast of the smooth trimmed pot and the rough abandoned scrap. I found myself doing the same thing with my wood scraps. The vertical line of triangles that the nail sits on, as well as the small shelf the rock sits on, are all the scraps left over from the many miter cuts made during the creating of the piece. The red-orange vertical slats of scrap wood are the results of trimming and fitting the panels. I left a couple of the pencil measurement lines on these pieces to future reference process. Some are sanded smooth, some are left raw to reveal the texture, to show the ripping of the saw.

The 3 circles on the left side are a reference to the impression the nail head gives to leather hard clay. The three repetitions represent my daughter Grace, my wife Rebecca, and myself. In the past I have used this triad motif, but the change is size here is more a reflection on the phases of my life, of time and it’s affect on memory and even place. How the two are connected. The same for the slow gradient change of the orange-red scraps. I thought about how each time I went to Junction it was different, because I was different. A slow almost unnoticeable change, like the water of a river cutting away at the earth to form a canyon.

I left lots of raw wood unpainted and opted to forgo stain. The natural quality of the wood is something I wanted to keep, and even highlight in areas like the right side panel and the raised triangles. It is hard to see but there is a thin channel of coppers and golds, of Payne's grey and prussian blues between the raised river and the right side triangle and circle panel. I left this thin vein of the base board to have a section feel almost submerged, as if hiding under the other surfaces. The colors a nod to the fuming pieces I made in Junction with James. The glitter and gold with much owed to Beatrich Woods luster glazing pg. 203.

Overall I am happy with the piece, and I have really enjoyed working in this style melding my love of texture, process and natural beauty with painting and wood working. I am going to do more work like this in Fredricksburg when I take a painting class this summer. I was half dreading the idea of a Graduate level painting studio, but now I am full of excitement and anticipation.

As for things I need to work on. My craftsmanship. Not all of my miter cuts met up flush, you can see small gaps on some edges, especially the bottom left. I think a lot of that comes down to practice, experience, and possibly resources. I made all the cuts by hand, and hand sanded to make some things fit snug. A laser guided power miter saw will almost certainly be my birthday gift. I also want to invest in some quality hand planers, and a small table top belt sander.


 I welcome any and all comments and criticism. Thank you all for your time, post, responses, and insight this semester and I hope to see you in Lubbock and F-Burg in 4 short weeks!

11 comments:

  1. Thoughtful is the first word that comes to mind when I see your work Daniel. You are always so thoughtful in the way you do things. The smallest of details have the largest of meanings. You are symbolic in the way you create. You create from a place of heartfelt passion towards whatever medium you are working in. You value the material and the process. I admire that. I have see you use these objects in junction and reference this theme before in your pottery work. Isn't it amazing how much of an impact Junction has had on us as artists? I can't seem to let go of what I learned there. It shaped me more than any experience I've ever had and I can tell it has had the same impact on you. I would like to see you continue to work in wood and maybe even combine your pottery with it in some way. I found wood turning closely related to pottery when we read this semester. That might be an option or at least creating art pieces from wood that are used to display pottery. Just a thought. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the inspiration throughout the readings and your own visual experiences at museum to guide you into making this new art form. There is nothing better than portraying the nature of this place on natural wood and your subtle shapes, colors, and textures tie it all together. I sense your connection to the personal pieces you have invested more in depth memories with. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting to see you stretch..I love your clay work but this is a whole new ball game. The referenced work with/without your story.I agree with Shelbi, Junction was so much of our art making, art thinking, art conversation. I find myself going back to small moments, to laughter and stories, confessions and confusion all wrapped around tales of food. Nice work. My only suggestion is to keep going...try to find a way to include your clay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel I love this piece! The symbolism of retiring the nail - just tugged at my heart strings! You have inspired me with how you use symbolism and wrote about it as well - this is very poetic in visual form and tells your story of growth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel ,Gail has a wonderful point...you should consider writing a book about your art ...I know easier to say than do...but very possible and you are a beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beutiful piece Daniel. I agree with Future and Gail. You certainly have a way with words here.I love how personal things piece is to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the subtle colors (I feel junction in the shiny summer time) and raw nature that you left!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the kind words everyone. I am thinking of painting in more detail around the river, or should I leave it as is?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you tried something new with your talent! I remember you mentioning in our past Junction summers that you wanted to create something that would display a found object. Great combination of elements and execution. I look forward to seeing other ideas that you have for your special little mementos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As far as painting in more detail: I really like that the river leads itself to represent a more abstract element right now. I can see where/why you would want to add more detail but I think that since the other half of your piece (everything to the right of the river painting) is abstract already, I feel that the painting would perhaps slightly clash with it if there was more detail added. What kind of detail were you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just more tonal range and some sharper definition around the banks. I am thinking it will stay as is for now. Thanks Jenn!

    ReplyDelete