Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Final Project: Michelle Guerra

Final Project:
Mixed Media/ Acrylic Paint on wrapped canvas
24"X36"


 (Final Project: 24"X36" Front View)

(Final Project: Close Up, Details)


(William Morris Wallpaper)

I was inspired by William Morris’s wallpapers.  When I think of old homes, particularly Victorian, I visualize these gorgeous facades that invite people in.  Inside, one could usually find that floral fills up the walls, making you feel like you’re in some beautiful garden. 
I love old homes, adore them and I dream having a gorgeous garden (even though I don’t have green thumbs!).  In the first chapter of Makers: A History of American Studio Craft, I remember being taken away by the background of Morris & Co. wallpaper.  William Morris was extremely exact and a perfectionist and was known for making his wallpapers with quality and craftsmanship.  He not only put color and pattern into peoples homes, he started this movement where aesthetics became very important when it came to the inside of your home.
 Print making is one of the most unforgiving processes I have ever experienced, so trying to figure out how would I create something influenced by his work, I thought outside and figured I would paint mixed media onto wrapped canvas. 
The first thing I did was finding an old canvas that I would recycle.  I then thought, what medium would I use that would create a repetitive floral pattern?  Lace kept popping into my head.  I dug up old laced material I fortunately already had in my room and carefully cut them into patterns and tried to fit and balance them onto the canvas till finally I was satisfied.   With the patterns in place, I then used acrylic gloss medium to paint onto canvas.  After a day of drying, I started to paint the background and slowly made my way into detailing.  I realized my mistake was painting after adding my lace and it took me way longer to paint around and get everything covered, leaving no white.  In the end it made me more focused and I learned to add shadow and highlights to my roses in painting, which was a real challenge because I don’t paint and if I draw, I almost never add any color! 

When hanging it up on my huge bare wall, I see that it adds some amazing color to the living room. 

9 comments:

  1. Nice job hand-creating a repetition! I love the relief effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Chris...the relief adds to the beauty. And as long as it took, it was quicker than it would have been with printmaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really see the influence and I love the lace build up you have on it. It almost looks like wire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really see the influence and I love the lace build up you have on it. It almost looks like wire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think it accomplishes your goal of the Victorian era in a modern way - very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the overall texture and I see how you were inspired! Great colors and overall flow of the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be nice if the flowers were perhaps in various sizes and value changes- just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand what Sarah is saying but for me, I kept seeing a series of these, different lace but the same wallpaper balance. An ode to William Morris...work to keep finding your voice in the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. I suppose I could have tried it. It would've been interesting, even trying different colors. I had fun with this for sure!

    ReplyDelete