Saturday, May 7, 2016

Final

It has been quite an adventure for me this semester. I feel like we can be open on here. In the beginning of the semester I had to make a sudden move back to my hometown, San Antonio, for my grandmother. She had been diagnosed with Alzhimers about 8 years ago, and she was doing well for a majority of that time. She is I. The later stages where we don't know how long it will be until it's her time. My family is the ones who is caring for her so I sought the need to come down. With that my two pieces were made to represent my time here thus far. This first one being a simple, yet not so simple, render of my room. I loved the render that Margery Wheelock did and was inspired to try a new theme in my drawings. This was more in my comfort zone but at the same time not. I grew so impatient as I drew the entire room. I could not get anything right in perspective. By the end of it I grew so frustrated. It made me think a lot of my grandmother. She's so sweet and loving. A simple woman with a pure heart. But the disease is a frustrating process for us and her.
The second piece is more out of my comfort zone. A little 3-D attempt with a twist. For as much as I was inspired by John Cedarquist. Oh man I really wish I could've done a piece of furniture. But this was my second best. I wanted to to aim for the 2-D wanting to be 3-D. But my thought process behind this piece is the idea of freedom. There are times where I feel trapped and the only thing that gets me through is seeing that light at the end of the tunnel. I yearn for it and fight my way through to get to it. And though it is difficult there is an end to whatever it may be holding you back.

10 comments:

  1. Love it...having been a caregiver for 7 1/2 years I know that feeling.. trying to still be YOU when you are stuck with what you feel you have to do. This is a great stretch and new look for your already beautiful drawing...do more...this could be your show...boxes with you trying to get out. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can also relate to taking care of parent/grandparents. Especially your coming out of a box with mixing it up between drawing and clay. Keep your sketchbook with out at all times you never know when you will have to be still because of Dr. appt., hospital visits, or just visiting with your relative while they are taking a nap. It really helped me survive those times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noemi - I can relate - dealing with similar issues with my mother n law and my father has issues from a mild stroke. Your work is encouraging on a lot of levels - I can see in her the trust she has doing the right thing yet conflicted by her own agenda. I wish you the best through this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noemi, I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know that hardships and struggles that come with sickness in the family.

    I like the 3-D piece. How did you cut the figure out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful on it's own! Is this wood?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! Daniel: I just used an xacto knife. The wood was thin enough for me to cut it as precise as possible.
    Jennifer: Yes! It is basswood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much like with April's work I keep wanting to the see the other side of the figure and what she is really feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful expressions of how you are feeling & dealing with your emotions. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful expressions of how you are feeling & dealing with your emotions. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete